Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just Eating Dinner

The other night while eating dinner I choked on a piece of chicken.  Do not be alarmed, it caused me no real breathing difficulty but it was indeed, most definitely STUCK!!!  So stuck in fact that I could  get nothing past it.  No water, food, or even my own saliva wouldn't go past it.  As a result I began to vomit (spit up really) every few minutes because my spit would build up behind it to the point that it would trigger my gag reflex and I would spit it all up.  The process would repeat it self over and over and over again.  All my attempts to remedy the chicken failed and I was left with no good option.  I called the  nurse line for my insurance and after a quick laugh she encouraged me to go to the ER.  This is NOT something I wanted to do.  How embarrassing....I just didn't want to go to the ER.  I simply hoped that time would cure the problem.  So, I waited and waited, and spit up and waited some more.  Finally around 11pm, I decided that I had no alternative and that probably soon I would need to eat and drink again so I drove myself to the ER.   After spending almost five hours there.  They determined that I had indeed gotten a piece of something STUCK in my esophagus. 

Since, the hospital here is tiny I was sent about an hour away to a hospital better equipped to quickly deal with my dilemma.  The new hospital moved quickly and soon I was asleep in out patient surgery for a quick procedure to remove that darn piece of chicken.  I returned home to my sweet babies who had been busy making me get will cards and such.  Here are just a few of the sweet things they made for me to help me feel better. 

Thanks guys, these made all the difference!

1 comment:

Toni said...

No fun, but I love the cards.