Just a few days before we left Virginia one of my dad's goats had twins. Everyone was surprised since we had NO idea that the goat was even pregnant. Sydney and Logan were extremely excited (especially Sydney). One of the goats was much smaller and seem to be rejected by it's mother. My dad and Sydney put forth great efforts to save this little goat. There were dropper feedings, blanket rubdowns, and petting galore! Sydney was in HEAVEN!
That first night my father and I had to hold down that poor mother goat and let the baby nurse. I am so glad no one had to physically restrain me to get me to feed my newborn. I am sure we were a hilarious sight.
This little goat, later named "Sparkles" was the highlight of Sydney's year! She was quite a good and conscientious little mommy. It was very hard for her to say goodbye when we pulled away a few days later. "Sparkles" and "Buckwheat" (the other baby goat) have been sorely missed and have been inquired about virtually everyday since we got here to Louisiana.
Sadly, Sparkles died about two weeks after we moved. I have yet to tell Sydney, she just doesn't need to know that yet. I guess that momma goat knew something we didn't.
1 comment:
How sad.
Post a Comment